Thursday, January 4, 2007

Well another week has passed and the dragons are still alive, (Phew! Wipe forehead). We have had a couple of roughspots but overall they have been resolved with very little drama.

Just after Christmas all the children were sick and so very little interest was taken in the animals (in fact at one point I even had to feed the dragons (gasp!)) However by Friday Liam was a bit better and greeted me at 6am with the worrying news that "All the crickets are too big." I told him to feed them some vegetables and not to worry about it for now and then promptly went back to sleep :-). The morning moved on and I eventually got up and Adam left for a day of geocaching (by the way Adam's blog is at www.tgfblogged.blogspot.com ). Around lunchtime Liam comes back with the statement about the crickets and I properly assess the situation. If the crickets are too big (heaven help me if we choked a dragon with a too big cricket) what are we going to feed them??????? Adam is away with the car and everything is shut from tomorrow until next Tuesday! ARGGHH!!!! What will do?

I quickly call our cricket supplier to confirm my fears and I am right, no crickets until Tuesday, so I order some EXTRA small crickets for then and wonder what in the world we will do. Then Liam comes out and says "don't worry Mum I solved it. I just take the big crickets and snap their head off and then feed the dragons both the halves ", (YUCK!!) "and then any legs that fell off I just drop in the cage and they gobble them up" (double YUCK!!). I quickly rang the breeder we bought them from (they foolishly told us we could call for advice :-)) and confirmed that this was fine as long as the dragons would actually eat them like that. No worries about that - they seem to eat anything :-).

If I am worried about anything now, it is whether bearded dragons can be overfed? They are very well loved and every time Liam enters his room, he admires them and then feeds them. He will then come out and say that Steve (or Terri) wasn't really into the cricket he offered him. When I quizz him I realize it is because 'Steve' has already eaten 5 crickets this morning, PLUS some mealworms, had just been sprayed with water (to keep him hydrated) and is probably freezing and probably wants nothing more than to just sit under the heat lamp and warm up. Nonetheless the baby dragons are thriving and growing. All our other creatures are alive and well too, though Samuel again made a break for it after removing the staples from his mesh. This time he made it all the way to the lounge room (5 meters). I definately think we will have to reinforce his cage and change his name to Samsom :-).

No comments: